4, April, 2003
Announcing joint arrangement with Meetup, Inc.
WebRing is pleased to announce a mutual promotional arrangement with Meetup, Inc. Meetup is a community oriented Internet service that facilitates local meetings between people with common interests. At coffee shops, restaurants, bookstores, pet stores, and other public places are venues for meetups. Meetup will promote WebRing on their site, and WebRing will promote Meetup within our directory and ring hub pages that have opted to join Meetup. We believe face-to-face meetings are a natural extension of the micro-community experience that WebRing facilitates in the online world, and both will be stronger through joint cooperation. In the coming months we plan to continue to bring new and innovative community tools to the WebRing community.
We encourage ring managers in particular to explore Meetup and consider the possibilities for enhancing the rings you manage.
You can find Meetup at http://www.meetup.com.
We'll provide detailed instructions on how to go about associating ring's with a specific meetup on the Global Settings help page.
The growth in use of WebRing forums continues unabated. There are nearly 5000 active forums and still growing. We encourage ring managers to email members to invite them to participate in their ring's forum. It is an excellent means of communicating with members in a world where email is increasing unreliable due to spam filters, changing accounts, etc.
There are several Forums that every person should look at, whether you are a site owner or ring manager or just a surfer:
ring managers can activate a Forum in their ring(s) by using the Global Settings screen.
We've been busy on other enhancements as well, and the list seems to just keep growing as members submit ideas for changes. Thanks for the input! Here's some of what we've done since the last status report.
- Revised search to incorporate navrating in calculating results. Better run rings will appear before more poorly run rings (by navrating standards at least).
- Searching within rings has been greatly improved. Links that used to fail have been fixed, ad suppression was fixed, and we've added a link to return to the standard hub page as well.
- The support submission process has been refined to help members more clearly identify the problem they are experiencing and either solve it on the spot or provide better information to the support team to speed resolution.
- We've made the site status indicator (active. pending, suspended) on the View ring sites page a link to an explanatory page on what the status means and how to proceed if it is not active.
- A number of help pages have been added and others revised to reflect changes in the system. We're still missing a number, but it's improving. Of particular importance, help pages on how members can go about getting their sites featured on ring hub pages, and featuring rings in the directory have been added.
Stay tuned for more changes coming your way.
WebRing is a Community supported system
WebRing is best supported by you, the community. Many that have pitched in have found that the promotional credit they receive can be put to very good use by either featuring the ring in the directory and/or requesting to have their site(s) featured on ring Hub pgaes. The results are almost always noticeable right away in increased traffic to the ring or site. It's a win-win for us all: Increased visibility for your ring or site and support for WebRing.
If you value WebRing and feel you can benefit from an even better system, then we seek your support. Thanks to the 4000+ contributing members WebRing is treading water! We still offer the best service and support whether you contribute or not.
Interested in supporting WebRing? Use
or use the link below to contribute using PayPal.
|| ||OR, if you prefer you can send a check or money order to:|
1257 Siskiyou Blvd, #1153
Ashland, OR 97520
The WebRing Team
January 20, 2003 Status report.
December 20, 2002 Status report.
October 15, 2002 Status report.
October 1, 2002 Status report.
September 4, 2002 Status report.
August 16, 2002 Status report.
August 1, 2002 Status report.
July 23, 2002 Status report.
July 16, 2002 Status report.