Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Storytelling Ring - Welcome to The Storytelling Ring! Sites throughout the WWW featuring Storytelling resources, organizations, events, and

Forums     Login   Signup

The Storytelling Ring

Manager: system2
Sites throughout the WWW featuring Storytelling resources, organizations, events, and the tellers themselves. All dedicated, at least in part, to the vocal art of telling stories. Enjoy!

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Effective stories produce brain chemicals - 02/04/2013
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/Rotating_brain_colored.gif

Human Brain by BrianMSweis hypothalamus=red, amygdala=green, hippocampus/fornix=blue, pons=gold, pituitary gland=purple CC image from Wikimedia Commons Why do some stories 'work' really well? Why will some stories reduce an audience to tears, or silence, or a warm fuzzy glow? I remember telling 'Oh Luck of the Ugly', a Sudanese folktale about an ugly girl and her struggle to find happiness, to some Year 12 girls in a Brisbane school. Many of them had tears in their eyes and were strongly moved by the story. We talked about it and then I asked them, "What do you think boys would do when they listen to this story?" They were collectively derisive. One said, "They would just laugh." I said, "No. Year 12 boys listen carefully and, towards the end, go very quiet and thoughtful. This story effects them as well." How does a 'good' story bring about this effect? Well, it seems that effective stories stimulate the brain to produce specific two brain chemicals - one, cortisol, encourages the story listener to 'concentrate' and the other, oxytocin, to 'empathise'. As storytellers, we know that if we are going to tell a story it might as well be a good one. It needs to follow narrative structure and if you like the term, as script writers and movie directors do, the dramatic arc. It needs reachable characters, a setting we can imagine, a challenge or a problem to overcome and finally a clear resolution. Now, if the character is similar to the audience and, if that problem is one that a ...

Effective stories produce brain chemicals

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy